Disclaimer

I'm no Martha Stewart or Mary Poppins. I may even swear occasionally. I am not anything but myself, and trust me, some days that's even more that I can handle.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Patience is a virtue...

...It's just not one of mine. I know, for those of you that know me, this is a shocking revelation. I'll wait a minute while you pick your jaws off the ground. Better? Let's move on. I hate reading directions, manuals, rules, etc. I would much rather figure things out on my own than read about it. 95% of the time, it works out just fine. Sure, it might take a few more minutes (hours), but really, I saved all that time by not reading, right?

My sister gave me an ice cream maker. Since it's been hotter than Hell's Hinges here, Jason & I thought it would be perfect to make some ice cream after dinner the other day. Awesome. So, we get the box out, start setting it up, and one of my boys (who does read directions) announced woefully, "for optimum results freeze insert for 6-22 hours." That sure took the wind out of our sails. I don't know if I can wait until 2 a.m. for ice cream...even homemade ice cream.

Me being me, I said, "but do we HAVE to? It says for optimal results. I could live with less than optimal results." So, we put the insert in the freezer and waited...and waited...and waited. Last night, after a long day of mini golf and boating, we finished dinner about 8:30. I ran out to the store to buy whole milk and heavy cream so we could make ice cream. Cameron got some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups to put in the ice cream, too (excellent decision on his part).

I mixed everything up, and poured it into the machine. And I waited...and waited...and waited. At 10 o'clock last night, we ate ice cream. I don't think Ben & Jerry's need to lose any sleep about me overthrowing their ice cream empire (yet), but it was good. I put the leftover ice cream into a little container so I could wash & refreeze the insert right away. I didn't want to be caught unprepared again, afterall.

The insert is ready to go (I checked it this morning first thing. It's frozen solid). Of course, I need to wait until after breakfast for ice cream, right? Maybe I can read some ice cream recipes to kill the time...recipes are much different than instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment