Disclaimer

I'm no Martha Stewart or Mary Poppins. I may even swear occasionally. I am not anything but myself, and trust me, some days that's even more that I can handle.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

One of the Longest Weeks Evah

I am a gadget girl. I love them. For the longest time, my cell phone was just your regular, boring, run of the mill phone. Then I lost it. So, in replacing it, I figured I'd better get something that would stick out a little more. I got a hot pink Razor phone. Loved it. Lost that one (we actually think it was stolen out of my car, but still, another phone gone). I replaced it with another hot pink Razor, which I used until it the number keys started malfunctioning. You would think I would give up and not have a cell phone. I might have, but then I saw the iPhone. Now, being me, I had toyed with the idea of a Blackberry, but they just didn't speak to me like the iPhone did.

Oh, how I coveted that phone. I wanted one so badly I could hardly stand it. At the time, I had a fully functional phone, so it was no dice. Then, as I said, my current phone started dying. By this time, the iPhone was up to the 3Gs version. I got it. I loved it. I don't know I managed to function pre- iPhone. It became a part of me. Wherever I went, the phone went. I even took the phone onto the beach (encased in a heavy duty ziploc bag). The phone has been to the pool, on the boat, in the rain with no incident. Then I went to play mini-golf.

I had the phone in my pocket, and I crossed a bridge to the next hole. I didn't even hear the splash. My phone landed face down in 2 inches of water. I almost started crying when I saw it lying there, submerged, like a little rock. I took the cover off and sat it out in the sun (it was 95+ degrees that day) while I finished up the round of golf (which, by the way, I won..AND I won a free game. Normally such things would send me home singing, but alas, the glory of my golf luck paled in comparison to the thought of being iPhone-less).When I got home, I put it in a bag of rice and prayed heavily to the God of Gadgets.

And I waited. Have I mentioned how much I like waiting? Yeah. All I wanted to do was try and see if it would work. Every time I would pass my rice buried phone on the counter, my heart sank a little more. I held off pushing any buttons or moving it until Thursday. I plugged it into the charger, held my breath and...Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Well, fluffernutter. I went to the computer and scrolled down on the website I had googled about how to fix your wet iPhone. I wasn't about to try the putting it in the oven thing. I just knew I would be the one in 60 zillion that had the phone explode and burn down the house. I wasn't going to try and pry the phone apart in hopes that I could realllllly dry it out. The more I read about the extreme lengths some people went to to get their phones working (someone left it in rice for TWO MONTHS!), the more my heart sank. I was bracing myself for the idea that my phone was dead. I kept reading, and I got to a post about blowing the phone out with an air compressor. Now that, I could do. Once I had sprayed it down, I plugged it into the computer and....SHAZAM!

It was back. The screen was a bright beacon of loveliness. So far, so good. I called it, and it rung. I took pictures, and they turned out. I sent a text and got a reply. It's been a full week since I resuscitated my phone ,and it seems to be pretty much back to normal. All is well in my gadget world....although I have to admit, a teeny, tiny part of me almost wishes it had died so that I could get the iPhone 4. A gadget girl's coveting never ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment